Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Rogue: Mocha Porter



Again I find myself with a Rogue beer that has been on my "must try" list for quite some time now. This brewery has so many enticing, elusive and interesting beers that I always find myself browsing whatever selection they have out at the time before I really look elsewhere. On my quest to find more enlightenment in the world of stouts and porters, I thought a porter from this company was a long overdue tryst.

Look: Earthy, deep and dark almost blackish brown.

Aroma: earthy, molasses, hot chocolate like with the coffee coming through noticeably at the end.

Taste: Deep and solid. Roasted coffee right up front, chocolate in the back, sweet and enticing. Mocha is a flavor that nearly almost always comes through with a porter and this one is almost straight espresso, and oh so delicious. It has a bitterness to it that I enjoy and reminds me so much of a cup of joe that I wonder what it would taste like with a smoke but it's been a year since I've quit so this urge is silenced quickly. A solid 7 out of 10.

A delicious beer once again. This company has yet to disappoint me as a beer enthusiast and I can't imagine that ever happening. A basic porter with a deep, dark secret. I look forward to trying their Double Mocha Porter in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment